Ronseal Ultimate decking oil Teak 5L
Our Ultimate Protection Decking Oil keeps your deck looking great and protected from the weather. It nourishes deep into your wood to stop it drying out, as well as giving long lasting protection from scuffs and knocks. In fact, it'll last twice as long as standard decking oil.* *Based on weathering data.
- Lasts twice as long as standard decking oil
- Protects decking from greying and splitting
- Keeps the natural look and feel of the deck
- Highlights the beauty of the wood
- Rainproof in 90 minutes
The oil works its magic on dry days when the temperature is above 10°C. Make sure your decking is completely dry before you apply it too.
How to prepare decking for oiling
Untreated, weathered decking
Untreated decking is really easy to prepare. All you need to do is use a restorer to bring out the natural colour of your deck. This will also help the oil adhere to the surface better.
Previously treated decking
- Use decking cleaner to remove dust, grease, oil, mildew and algae.
- If you notice any patches that are loose, peeling or flaking you will need to remove them otherwise your oil will be patchy. Use decking stripper to completely remove the top layer and take it back to the bare wood.
- Protect bare ends with grain protector to prevent moisture from seeping in.
- If your deck has been previously oiled, don't try to cover a dark oil with a lighter colour. You'll need to strip it first using our Decking Stripper.
- Most new decks come with a bit of waterproofing protection. This could stop the oil from sticking. To avoid this, give your new deck a good scrub with our Decking Cleaner & Reviver. Alternatively, leave it to weather for six months.
- Rinse thoroughly with water, ideally with a pressure washer.
- To check if any pre-treatment is remaining, sprinkle some water on the deck and see if it beads.
- If it doesn't bead, you'll be ready to put on the oil. If it does then you'll have to clean it again until the water stops beading.
- Allow the wood to dry thoroughly before applying the oil.
- Give the can a shake continuously for a couple of minutes. Pour the oil into a suitable container and dip in your brush or applicator pad. Check you’re happy with the colour. Find a small hidden patch of wood and try it. Remember, the shade label is only an indicator of the colour.
- Start in the furthest corner, brushing along the length of the boards. Work on 3-4 boards at a time so you don’t get any overlap marks.
- You’ll need to put on 2 coats. Leave 4 hours between each coat. After 24 hours you’ll be able to get your furniture out and use the deck.
- If you get any oil on yourself, wash it off with warm soapy water.
And that’s it! Your decking is now oiled and healthy.
Regularly cleaning your decking will not only keep it looking good, but it’ll keep it in a good condition too. Use a stiff brush to remove dirt, grime, dust, algae, mildew and anything else that ruins the aesthetics of your deck.
Repairing your deck is really easy and doesn’t take much effort. Just sand down the damaged area and apply a coat of the oil and your decking will be good as new.